This handy folding luggage rack is perfect for your guest bedroom. It makes a statement to your guests that they are welcome in your home and helps make their stay more comfortable. This rack will support a large suitcase while providing easy access to your company’s luggage. It is also handy for your own bedroom when packing and unpacking your traveling bags. In addition, you will find this luggage rack perfect as a stand for a breakfast tray.
- 1 quart paint, whatever color you like
- 20” of coordinating heavy fabric
- Sewing machine and coordinated thread
- Poplar (paint grade-no knots)
- eight Gold Coarse wood screws #8 x 2”
- four #8 flat washers
- two ¼” flat washers
- two nylon insert stop nuts
- two #10 x 1 ¼” aluminum spacers
- two #10-32 Hex Head machine screws
- Screw driver
- Sand paper (220 grit)
- Iron and ironing board
- Cut out all wood according to dimensions given. Drill holes as indicated on drawing. Sand edges of wood and screw holes lightly. Wipe off all sawdust.
- Paint all pieces on all sides—leaving ends unpainted. However, you DO PAINT the ends of the two large top pieces (5/8 x 2 ½ x 24). Give each piece at least two coats. May need a third coat, depending on paint coverage.
- Cut five strips of fabric 3 ½” x width of material. On long sides of each piece, press under ¼”. Turn this hem again ¼” and press. Stitch hems on both sides of each piece down the long sides. Cut each of the 5 pieces exactly the same length (27 ½” is recommended). Turn under each short raw end ¼” and press. On both ends, fold under 3 ½” and stitch through all three layers, making a pocket to slide large top (5/8 x 2 ½ x 24) boards through. Repeat on four remaining fabric strips.
- Once wood is dry, assemble folding luggage rack as follows:
a. Using a portable hand drill and a ¼” drill bit, drill a hole through each leg 13 ½” from the bottom end.
b. Tap a #10 x 1 ¼” aluminum spacer through one of the legs.
c. Slip a ¼” flat washer over the spacer and then tap the remainder of the spacer through the other leg. (At this point you should have two legs separated by a washer and the spacer tapped through both legs.)
d. Slip a #8 flat head washer onto a #10-32 machine screw and insert the screw through the spacer. Slip another #8 washer on the screw and secure the leg assembly with a nylon insert nut.
e. Repeat steps 2-4 for the other pair of legs.
f. Open each leg assembly so they form a cross. Measure 4” from the bottom of each leg. Clamp a bottom brace between each leg with a bar clamp.
g. At the 4” marks drill 1/8” x 2” holes through the legs and into the ends of each brace.
h. Place wood glue on the ends of each brace and use #8 x2” gold coarse wood screws to attach the legs to the braces.
i. Slip the two top boards through the pockets of the five fabric pieces.
j. Place one of the top boards onto the inner legs. The inner legs should be flush with the inside edge of the top board. Also the top board should overlap the inner legs 1 ¾” on each end.
k. Drill 1/8” x 2” holes through the top board and into the top of the legs at each end. The holes should be ½” from the inside and 2” from the end of the top board.
l. Place glue on the leg ends and screw the top onto the legs with #8 x 2” gold coarse wood screws.
m. Repeat steps #9-11 for the top board covering the outer legs. The only exception is the screw holes should be drilled 1 3/8” from each end.
From the first time I sewed the buttons on backward and clipped a hole in the front of my first blouse in high school home economics, I’ve been hooked on sewing. I have been sewing and making crafts for over 40 years and enjoy the process of creating something unique and exactly what I want.
Hopefully, you to will also have fun making projects which will add warmth and charm to your home or touch a special someone with your unique gift.
- 2023.01.08QuiltingBest Iron-on Batting For Quilting, According To Quilters Everywhere
- 2023.01.08All CraftsDiscovering The Best Sewing Tool: A Guide To Finding The Perfect Tube Turner
- 2023.01.08QuiltingBest Floral Fabric Panels For Quilting That Will Make It A Work Of Art
- 2023.01.08All CraftsDiscovering The Right Power Cord And Pedal For Your Singer Sewing Machine